Friday, March 9, 2012

A friend of mine works for Sun Country Airlines and has been told that due to the economy she has two choices. One resign or two accept a 50% pay cut effective Oct 6th.

Considering jobs are not growing on trees in this crazy economy, what would you do. Assuming you did not have another job lined up.

She could accept a termination layoff and then go on unemployment for forty percent of her pay also.

What would you do?|||I would be inclined to keep the job at lower pay - but start looking HARD for extra work.

A few reasons for that.

If she was to take the termination, I would personally opt to ensure for a start that unemployment benefits WERE available - the airline shouldn't have any reason to deliberately cause you to be blocked from said benefits...but it'd be worth ensuring.

Secondly...working at 50% pay. The first factor is the most basic - it's simply the best income available in an obviously undesirable situation. Secondly, it might look better on a CV - that is, if she was to look for new work, for a new employer to see that and think "well, even though the conditions were drastically reduced, she was still willing to commit to her work as opposed to taking the easy path out".

Finding another job - even in an industry needing numbers - isn't as easy said as done...so if nothing else, it would be best to hang on, I would think. Termination/resignation is available later - but leave now and regret it? That's the point of no return.

That said, it would be worth her looking into industries and sectors with shortages. See if it were possible to transfer skills and qualifications - or undergo training.

I'll give some thoughts based on my position at the moment.

Here in Australia, the resources and mining sector are booming. Although it's not my chosen career (being a flying instructor is), I work shift in a mine to pay the bills because the money is good and pays off my training well.

However - despite the news reports of massive demand for personnel in the remote west Australian mines, the situation is different - as in all economies, skilled people are needed. You need to target an area where the skilled people aren't filling and see if she can.

In my case - I'm also a qualified security guard. The roles I do in the mine are in demand - but security guards are more so. So - at the moment in an effort to source a better bottom line, I'm capitalising on my qualifications as a guard to get into a job most can't do.

What I'm trying to say is - by all means I'd stay on. Better references, better look and (slightly) better pay.

But perhaps look at areas you mightn't think of and see if skills can be transferred over (in my example, until recently, I'd never thought of the need for security guards on mines - but they're in mass demand).

IF she has non-transferrable skills, perhaps look at opportunities to train or do short course. The jobs created through said courses mightn't be ideal and probably not as stimulating as her current job (just a guess) but unfortunately, financial need sometimes has to come first.

When you need a job and aren't too fussed to what you're doing, I believe the jobs are there. It's when people narrow their view too much they get stuck...which is why I'm a great proponent of gaining as many skills as you can - makes you so much more versatile and while I'm needing more jobs to support my chosen career, it's giving me options.

For the interim though, it's a bit of a between a rock and hard place situation but I believe staying (as much as morale would be decreased and possible resentment present) would be better in the long term - for the extra 10% pay (bearing in mind on a $100K salary, that's $10K annually...) and the better reference. |||it is illegal to decrease a pay wage. please contact your states better bussiness bureau.companys do get away with this because ppl do not contact them or so not know of this. at least make the call. what do you have to lose?

Report Abuse

|||In your explanation, you indicate that one of her choices was to resign. That is different from being terminated or laid off, and in most states bars a person from receiving unemployment. You also didn't mention whether or not she would continue to receive benefits under her pay cut which would terminate if she resigns. It is a really unfortunate situation, and I am really sorry she is going through this.|||From the report I've read, they are cutting pay by 50% and deferring it until 2009. If you can believe that they will have the cash to do so.

The option to quit is always there. I would keep working and search for a job and quit when I find something.

I don't think you can collect unemployment unless they lay you off.|||50% is better than 0% or 40%. Take the pay cut and start looking hard for another job.|||i dont understand pay cut, this is illegal unless your getting demoted. i would call the better bussiness bureau|||Quit. She is only making 50% if she says, if she is let go she gets 40%, so she gets to sit at home and look for a job for only 10% less, quit

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment